Sunday, February 5, 2012

Raw Chocolate Experiment

For the past few days my brain has been very adverse to copywriting, so I suppose I might as well do something productive and write about chocolate.

Dave gave me a Mayan Magic Chocolate Making Kit from The Chocolution this past Christmas. He may know me too well. I finally used it this weekend to make a tiny batch of Mayan chocolates with cayenne pepper.

I boiled a tiny pot of water and put a ceramic bowl on top to form an arguably hazardous double boiler. Once the water came to a boil, I turned off the heat and emptied a bag of raw chocolate and chunks of cocoa butter into the bowl. As the chocolate slowly melted into sweet lava, I impatiently prodded it with a fork.


With the chocolate completely liquefied, I squeezed a bag of agave nectar into the bowl and mixed the concoction together. I made a split second decision to spice it up with some cinnamon and cayenne pepper.

As I stirred in the towering pile of spices, I realized that the chocolate was changing phase, solidifying into what looked like brownie batter. I could hardly complain about that. I tried turning the heat on low again, but the ball remained defiantly dough-like. I mushed balls of warm, doughy chocolate into the tiny cups, flattening the tops with a spoon to make them look a little more presentable.


Brownie bites? Nope.
Presentation aside, the chocolates turned out delicious and I think this is surely a sign for me to become a chocolatier for the blind. When it comes to chocolate, it’s the taste that counts most anyways.

2 comments:

  1. They were delicious! I have two more little kits left, so I think I'm going to go salted almond for the next one. :D

    ReplyDelete